Subscribe Faith-filled Family Links for Learners Ask a Franciscan Editorial Entertainment Watch The Bible: Light to My Path Contents
Conversation Corner
John Vianney: The Saint Who Read Souls at a Glance--March 2003

Share a positive experience you have had with a priest, or how a priest has helped you.

Date: 3/14/2003 12:23:02 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Emma
Subject: Understanding Love and Dislike

There was a point in my life where I was very distressed because my boyfriend had hurt me my feelings very deeply and I could not understand why. I became angry at him and had a very bad feeling inside of me that prevented me from being happy.

I am Catholic and do not attend church regularly but I felt very restless and after class I drove myself to the nearest church I found by campus and asked to see a priest. I was 22 and had never held a converstation with a priest so when Father Donovan showed up I did not know where to start. Father Donovan made me feel very comfortable and I explained to him my distress. He told me that "it is ok to be upset" in my situation and that "you can love someone but not like him/her" at times. He said that is a part of being human. This may not mean much to some but the words of Father Donovan made me feel that it is ok to be angry as long as you don’t let the anger get in the way of the love you feel for someone else.

Thank you Father Donovan in Brentwood, CA!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND