Conversation Corner
Family Corner (Christmas Traditions--December 2003)

Discuss what new Christmas tradition you and your family can add this year?

Date: 12/12/2003 3:23:46 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Entwydumela
Subject: Change

I think that CHANGE can be considered one of the corner stones of our faith. Indeed, we are reminded that: Unless one is reborn....
John the Baptist asked us to change by turning away from sin (repent). We are reminded at least weekly to take a look at our life and change it to conform more closely with that required of us. To take a closer walk with Jesus is to change where we walk; we ask the Father to change our circumstances by Delivering Us From Evil. One of the more dramatic changes to the Church in the last hundred years followed the idea of "Vox Populi, Vox Dei."

So, we as one people and as an individual can affect changes. John prepared the way for Change: Christ effected the Change. Christ commanded us to change, the Holy Spirit gives us the strength and gumption to do so. Peter, Paul, John, and James all preached about change to the early church, and those same messages are as pertinent today as they were, then.

For me, to be a Christian is to strive to change such that each day finds me closer to following His Will, remembering that I am a sinner, but a sinner with hope and faith in the promises of Jesus Christ.

To that end, I am instituting a new tradition: Right before we open or exchange gifts there will be an offering of prayer of thanksgiving, much the same as that of Thanksgiving, for the Advent Season, for the blessings of friends, family, and other material manifestations of God’s Grace, as well as for the non-material manifestations of Blessings we have received throughout the year.

Basically, every year I find that I am aware more and more of the richness of God’s Blessings in my life and so my thanksgivings seem more and more inadaquate. Still, my heart and spirit refuse to stop giving thanks to Him who gave me life. What changes is the way I offer my thanksgiving.

May the Love and Peace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, be with all of you through this Holy Season and through your lives.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND