Conversation Corner
Family Corner (Teaching Forgiveness--July 2003)

In what area(s) do you need to be forgiven by someone?

Date: 7/31/2003 8:12:41 PM
Name or Pseudonym: newbie
Subject: I know what you mean

I know. I get angry sometimes too. Unfortunately, I’m usually the one that does the offending -- I’m not very graceful socially. And as such, it is much easier for me to forgive other’s social errors (hey, I need their forgiveness more frequently). Try the "you cannot make me angry -- I will not give you that power" mantra. Somebody famous (forgive me) said "nobody can make you angry without your permission."

I’ve a friend who is quickly irritated by "unrighteousness." On the positive side, I appreciate her zeal for righting wrongs, for promoting justice, and for instructing the ignorant. On the other hand, I’m sorry that a single incident of "wrong" will keep her riled up for hours. But I recognize that’s her make-up and with time, she’ll work things out for herself. We need folks like that because they get things done and they say stuff we’re afraid to say--provided that they channel their anger to positive action. Not that I’m promoting quick tempers--as that hurts the person being angry, I’m just saying that we need not all be docile.

Perhaps your temper is a gift. Take that energy and channel it into wonderful things. There’s a story of a fella who was divorced and could not spend Christmas with his children. So instead of sulking, he volunteered at a hospital and spent Christmas with those children and had a great time. Maybe you can start a single men’s ministry in your parish (but don’t get upset if it gets shot down--priests are busy and may not be able to oversee yet another ministry). Start a game night or a softball team or such. Or you can join an existing ministry.

Take it easy on the ladies. I don’t know if it’s courage or a driven need that keeps you trying with the ladies, but I applaud you for not throwing up your hands and giving up. Still, take it easy on the ladies. Avoid the ones that are not sincere.

Peace.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND