Conversation Corner
Family Corner (Loving Our Enemies --May 2003)

Love is a decision, not just a feeling. Discuss the difference between loving and liking someone.

Date: 5/27/2003 4:07:21 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Jeremy
Subject: Can it really be defined?

Some will say "yes, it can be" others will say no.

What do I say?

I feel that love is a feeling which must be felt, rather than told. Certainly, Shakespeare and other great poets have hit the nail on the head many a time with their words and vivid descriptions of love. They have been successful in decribing how love feels, yet the same does not hold true for "like".

Throughout my adult life, I have been faced with this decision: do I love her, or like her. Many times, I have felt that I loved someone, only to be hurt by them and rendered incapable of forgiving them. Thus, proving to myself that I did not love them, but liked.

I have recently found myself in a very loving relationship (1 1/4 years now) and am happily engaged. Having been through heavy discussions (she is Methodist, I am Catholic) I can honestly say that I love her.

Feelings of love are hard to put into words, but I think that’s already been done for us: Love never fails. "Like" has, and it will never measure up to Love.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND