Conversation Corner
Family Corner (Tilling the Soil--April 2003)

Who or what gives you hope when the world around you seems dark and scary?

Date: 5/5/2003 7:14:45 PM
Name or Pseudonym: newbie
Subject: it hurts, but don’t give up

Yes, I feel a sadness when I read your story.

Not having the priest’s point of view here, I am aware that I do not know the whole story.

Please do not give up on the Catholic church based on your experience with this one priest. Not all priests are lousy, nor are all priests great. Please do not give up on the Real Presence in the Eucharist or the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, marriage, holy orders, anointing of the sick, and reconciliation. Please do not give up on Mother Mary or the Holy Spirit and their guidance in the Church. Please do not give up on the countless saints and martyrs who have kept the faith and handed it down to us.

Would you consider discussing this matter with another priest? If it is truly bad leadership, then there is a moral obligation to straighten the matter out instead of turning the other way. It would be an act of love for the faithful community and adherence to the truth as handed down by the Church.

You know you are always welcomed in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church, in turn, has an obligation to teach Christian truth and guide the faithful, all in the spirit of love and charity. Some church leaders are more aggressive than others in this endeavor. Many times the individual members of the church fall rather short of these objectives. As a member of the Catholic Church, you have my sincere and heartfelt apologies. I know it hurts. Name-calling is never right or appropriate. Priests are men and sometimes then stumble over themselves. While I may walk away from the priest, I won’t walk away from the Catholic Church. Too many have worked too hard to give me this heritage.

Let nothing stand between you and Christ, not sin, not unrepentance, not unforgiveness. Peace be with you, and may Christ’s love guide you back to the Catholic Church.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND