Conversation Corner
Family Corner (The Shepherd’s Viewpoint--March 2003)

Was there ever a time when you wandered off and lost your spiritual awareness? Who or what brought you back?

Date: 4/26/2003 3:49:11 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Corinthian
Subject: Lost but now I’ve found: Him

Ok I’ll admit I’m 19 and teenagers have this unfair representation of not caring about religion or taking it seriously or not delving into the "correct" religion. I have been a Roman Cahtolic all my life baptized, First Communion and Confirmed. I attend church weekly, work at my parish rectory and am incredibly involved with everything at my church. Where am I going with this you ask? Well for starters I know of many people that would say oh my what a religious young person she may have an extreme love for the Lord (that part i argue not) but because I do all of these things doesn’t mean that I have never lost myself on my spiritual walk with the Lord.I have only been "saved" since I was 17. I although have gone through all of our sacraments never really had the true touch of the Lord in my life or heart.I was truly lost! I was lucky enough to find a group of people my age that helped me come back to the Lord know his promises for salvation and his blessings awaiting me. A bigger surprise not one of the teenagers were Catholic which made an extreme difference in my eyes. Let’s not get this wrong I am a Roman Catholic always will be and nothing will change that yet what I found was that these Christians (no particular denomination) were so open to the Lord followed his word and loved him as unconditionally as he loves us! I learned that we may have our traditions of communion and lent and fasting but all that really matters is our faith, our deep rooted faith in the Lord. Our decision to fully accept everthing he has prepared for us. I feel that I was saved and found my spirituality because I was able to understand that God truly exsists and what the words of the most sacred Bible meant. I found that lost touch that I had been missing, that hole was filled with the love I felt for the Lord. My friends helped find that they lead me to the path of salvation with Lord as my light. They introduced me to a way of thinking about "religion" as just more than the traditional things that we Catholics often do. I began to think that church was no longer a sacrifice it was a praise and worship that I made weekly to my Creator! Instead of trying to get things out of the homily I put things into it. Instead of just sitting while the songs played I began to sing as an offering of thanksgiving to the wonderful I have been given! Instead of complaining about why Christmas Eve mass was so long I thought let’s celebrate this is a birthday party for Christ Jesus! I am glad to have found him to be found no longer lost!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND