Conversation Corner
Family Corner (The Shepherd’s Viewpoint--March 2003)

Was there ever a time when you wandered off and lost your spiritual awareness? Who or what brought you back?

Date: 3/5/2003 12:49:01 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Nancy M
Subject: Coming back to the faith

I was raised Catholic. My parents were very Catholic and at times I resented it. Getting up early every day to attend Mass during Lent never made things better. I went to a Catholic high school(and grade school)staffed by a large number of nuns. During high school I started to look at religion differently. The nuns were very influential(not in a bad way) and helped me to see the more "human" side of God instead of the "rules and regulations".

Through the years when I resented all those Sundays and Holy Days I had to go to Mass when my friends were home sleeping or going to parties, I was looking forward to going to college so I wouldn’t have to go to church!

Guess what?! Once I got to college I realized how much I need my faith and realized I couldn’t live without it! I probably went to Mass more during college than in all my high school years!

Now that I’m a soon-to-be single mother, I know I could not have survived the last year without my faith! It has brought me from the depths of despair. I know God has a plan and I trust in Him. I am finally where I want to be in my relationship with God. He does work in mysterious ways! I just told my mom the other day, "Thank you for the gift of my faith, because today I don’t know where I’d be without it."

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND