Conversation Corner
Family Corner (The Shepherd’s Viewpoint--March 2003)

Was there ever a time when you wandered off and lost your spiritual awareness? Who or what brought you back?

Date: 3/5/2003 1:07:53 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Carlie
Subject: Wandering and coming back

Like you, J., I went to a Catholic school, through grade school. Then I transferred to public schools, and went to a secular college. But that was back in the 60s and 70s. I drifted from my faith while in the secular universities, into agnosticism, especially after an intruder confronted me in my apt. He pointed a gun at me and wrappped my head in adhesive tape and handcuffed my hands behind my back. I remember saying, "OH MY GOD!" when I saw him. Then before he could harm me, he was frightened away. I was a very innocent university student. Let me put it that way. I guess I still hadn’t realized that it was God who had come to my help, for I drifted further away from God. But God had not forgotten me. Honestly, I don’t know what I was thinking. Moving away from the faith left me open to involvement in a relationship I shouldn’t have gotten into. I married someone I was apparently not compatible with, and after about 14 years of marriage, my husband left me because he wanted to date. This was a little after the fact, of course, and out of charity I will spare you the details. But in the course of a long marriage to someone who didn’t really want to be married to me, I came across the phenomenon of Medjugorje. At first I was skeptical, but as I read about the apparitions, the words spoke to my heart. I knew from things I had read when I was young that this had to be a valid case, and I investigated only to find miracles occurring in my own life. That was just the beginning, and it has continued for many years now. I live alone and faithful to the teachings of the church, and my soul is at peace. I wouldn’t give up the Blessed Sacrament or my peace for any kind of sin. If any of you out there are thinking about walking away from the Church. Don’t do it! Once you begin to wander away, you will find yourself on treacherous ground. The Church is the shelter which God has given us, to protect our souls and to secure our happiness. Walking away is a big mistake. I know some young people want to strike out on their own, but this is ONE thing they should NOT give up. I made that mistake, but I came back and I don’t intend to leave it again.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND