Conversation Corner
Family Corner (The Shepherd’s Viewpoint--March 2003)

Was there ever a time when you wandered off and lost your spiritual awareness? Who or what brought you back?

Date: 2/26/2003 1:39:08 AM
Name or Pseudonym: J
Subject: Was there ever a time when you wandered off and lost your spiritual awareness? Who or what brought you back?

I went to Catholic school from the age of 3 to the age of 16 when I graduated from high school. Then I went to a secular state-run university where I met people of other religious beliefs, or no beliefs at all. At that time, the Philippines was in political turmoil because of the Marcos dictatorship. I became an activist and started staying away from church and religion. But when I finished college, I slowly returned to church. When I was in law school, I had a series of dreams where the devil in various disguises calling me to join him, where he burnt the bible, where the rosaries are numbered incorrectly and many other distortions of religious relics and symbols. These dreams, plus other phenomena, hounded me for about 1 year. The last of my dreams was when I knew I was saved. In the previous dreams, I was never cornered and I always managed to get away, no matter how desperate the situation was. In this last dream, I was placed in a corner facing the leader of these creatures, and I had nowhere else to run. Then, a monk in brown robe, with a sash at his waist, and a little boy led me passed this evil manifestation, and told me everything will be alright. I never saw the face of the monk, and I can’t recall the face of the child. I never realized until I went to church sometime later that it was St. Anthony and the child Jesus (in most churches in my country, there is usually a statue of St. Anthony with the child Jesus). Though I’ve heard of St. Anthony he was never my patron saint and I was never really exposed to him (my school’s patron saint was St. Jude). St. Anthony chose me. Now in times of trouble I run to him. In the important things in life, I know he will always pray for me. And if I didn’t get my prayer request, I know that it is for the best.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND