Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (Is It O.K. to Be Rich?--October 2003)

Is it O.K. to be rich?

Date: 11/18/2003 11:33:36 AM
Name or Pseudonym: purple
Subject: ok to be rich

First of all, why are some people richer than others? That question can only be answered by God. There are people who aren’t rich financially(which I assume is the kind of "rich" we’re talking about), yet they have they have the strongest faith in God and are so thankful for the other blessings God gave them, and that’s good enough for them. To me, those who are rich in faith, friends and family are wealthier than anyone else. So, is it ok to be rich? Yes. I guess deciding the true meaning of "rich" is what we need to do first. Is someone who has all the money in the world, but no love and no God in his life rich? To me he’s not. I know people who have beautiful homes, they have a lot of money.... Most of them have faith in God, they open their homes and give to those in need, they give some of what they have to others who don’t have. In these instances, yes, it’s OK to be rich. One can still make a lot of money and have God in his/her life. Does it say anywhere that you can’t have money and love God? This brings me to another contradicting point: Money has been known to cause alot of jealousy and hatred among society; people have taken their own lives over losing it, and have changed their loving personas to greedy, selfish ones over gaining it. To quote a famous person: "Money is the root of all evil" and I can see how it can be. But we have to remember taht these people who do have money work very hard at what they do, and I believe they are fulfilling God’s Divine Plan for them as thay make their money. We should never judge someone, no matter what. That’s God’s job. Our job is to love everyone, rich or poor, whether they are OK or not.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND