Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (Is It O.K. to Be Rich?--October 2003)

Is it O.K. to be rich?

Date: 10/25/2003 2:03:47 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Hope
Subject: Money itself is not evil....

Money is the root of all evil, but not the evil itself.

Surely, not all who are rich, are condemned.

Sometimes when I read the story of the rich man and the beggar., I feel like the story is more about an institution keeping people from the truth, than it is about an actual rich man and beggar.

If we compare what this rich man is wearing to the reference of being dressed in purple and fine linen--in the book of Revelation, I almost see that perhaps God is refering to an apostate religion.

Lazarus could possibly represent people who are spiritually hungry and looking for God., but this rich man, or institution..is not really feeding the people God’s truth. It is throwing just crumbs and morsels.., but they are still hungry for the truth.

I think the good news is that perhaps then, people who are earnestly seeking God, but are led astray by evil, or an evil institution, will still receive their inheritence in heaven, even though they may not have found God because of all the lies of the evil one.

We see that Lazarus is in heaven, but the rich man, or this religious institution who led Lazarus astray--is the one that went to hell. This theme actually lines up with the story in Revelation--where the apostate religion is judged in the end.

I have come to the conclusion that maybe hell really is only reserved for the devil and his workers/demons. We see no other example in the Bible, where man is actually thrown into hell.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND