Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (Is It O.K. to Be Rich?--October 2003)

Is it O.K. to be rich?

Date: 9/30/2003 3:06:53 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Fr. O
Subject: Outrageous

Dear Mr. Oscar,

I for one am offended that your messages seem to draw so much scrutiny from the monitor. I’ve read through the different topics of discussion and seen what people have had to say. Not that I mind your ability to speak your piece over there, but the catholic church in America should be ashamed that its lay persons and even some of the priests have strayed so far from the teachings of the church. Here you are trying to defend the truth of things and are scrutinized beyond what anyone else seems to be. Why aren’t some of the other writers corrected when some of their writings have been anathematized?
I went to the seminary quite some time ago and we studied the meaning of the passage you quoted. Pay no heed to the ’experts.’ They are puffed up and full of bluster. Sometimes there is no greater blessing in this world than poverty because it tames the concupisenses of the mind and body. Jesus teaches that we must be "poor in spirit," not destitute for sake of the state. You keep up to good work and hold on to your faith.
Sincerely,
Fr. O

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND