Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (Is It O.K. to Be Rich?--October 2003)

Is it O.K. to be rich?

Date: 9/25/2003 4:20:18 PM
Name or Pseudonym: newbie
Subject: sure

Luke 12:28
Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.

Or more simply (the version that I knew before I ever touched a bible): Those to whom much has been given, much will be required. (And I ask forgiveness from the author of that quote for having forgotten their name.)

First, by rich, I’m thinking "financially wealthy" for the purposes of my comments to follow. My attitude is to embrace all the blessings and graces that God gives me, to rejoice in it and be joyful! But at the same time, I must remember that I am a steward and must strive to love and glorify God, that all I have belongs to God and are meant to be shared. It is the LOVE of money that is the root of evil, not money itself.

So I think those who are rich have been given a great potential (and responsibility) to do great good. We’re all called to be saints, but we are not all called to be St. Francis! We need people with resources to build, fund, or otherwise support our church facilities, our schools, hospitals, seminaries, charities, and so on.

So yes, it’s o.k. to be rich! Just be able to answer to God what you’re doing with the blessings he has given you. Just don’t forget those in need.

Since I live in U.S.A., I’m rich compared to those in the less developed countries. I’m not rich compared to the average fellow countryman, but in fact, I am rich. I am very rich compared to those who live in abject poverty!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND