Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (False Piety, True Contrition--August 2003)

Have you ever had to make amends for a wrongdoing?

Date: 9/9/2003 11:01:27 PM
Name or Pseudonym: littleflower
Subject: Freedom in forgiveness

After 12 years of marriage I became physically ill and permanently disabled. My husband divorced me. He took everything material probably thinking I was going to die. I even had to fight to keep my children. The pain and anger I felt cannot be described...it ate me up morning, noon and night...I was totally bombarded with this anger . When I realized that I was the one hurting myself I prayed desperately to the Holy Spirit to help me because I felt I was dying inside. I had 2 young children to raise and I wasn’t helping them with this obsession of anger.One day after I prayed that I could "get over it" I had this inspiration to call my X and tell him that I was sorry for ever hurting him in thought, word or deed and asked him to forgive me. I couldn’t believe these words were coming out of my mouth. I know it was the Holy Spirit.
After I finished making amends I felt the most wonderful peace and "lightness of Spirit". I was relieved of the resentment and (I am ashamed to say) hatred of this man....not to mention I think he was in shock also! Thank You dear God.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND