Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (The Good Businessman--May 2003)

What keeps you from being a Good Samaritan in your daily life?

Date: 6/11/2003 12:40:36 PM
Name or Pseudonym: paveleck
Subject: More Good Samaritan Deterrents

I’ve got another example of deterrents to being a Good Samaritan at work: a company’s
greed.

I’m a developer of software tools at a company that has been going through a huge slump for the past couple of years). Some of the tools I develop are used by my colleagues to simplify their work when dealing with customers (often late at night and/or on the customers’ sites). Whenever one of my colleagues asks me if I can put something together to help them in these situations (or whenever I see a chance to do so), I usually drop what I’m doing and work on that.
I really feel good about my tools’ helping a colleague get through a tense customer-site job more quickly and easily.

Nowadays, we’re being "scolded" by our Management for spending our time doing things that "we’re not being funded for".
I know that some people I work with have already become afraid of this "scolding" and have backed out of helping people. I’m trying to keep helping out whenever I’m needed, but I’m a bit concerned that Management might end up laying me off for doing so.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND