Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (Finding Our Way Home--March 2003)

Talk about a time when you or someone in your family was lost.

Date: 4/17/2003 12:32:14 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Doug
Subject: Why Be Catholic?

DLL:

It would be a lie for me to say that the scandals have not impacted me. Back in ’92 or ’93, we caught wind of sexual abuse in the Province of Newfoundland. As I look back, I used that unfortunate circumstance as an excuse to justify leaving the Catholic Church. The truth is that I had already strayed from the Church with my arogance and sin. I had stopped going to church at all and forgotten the face of my Father. Years later, my wife and I started to attend a Baptist Church in Newfoundland where we were living at the time. Ironically, it was through that community that I felt/heard/sensed our Lord calling me back Home (this has ocurred over six years or so). I had to struggle with feeling incomplete with a community that so obviously loved Jesus but at the sametime something was missing. It took quite awhile for me to understand why and ultimately I realized that I longed for the Eucharist. The Body of Christ is in the Eucharist. We, as Christians, as also the Body of Christ. I believe that the key to enduring such scandals is first to refute the lies that it exists only in the Catholic Church. This is a larger problem that our Protestant brothers and sisters share (they are just not as newsworthy). The human organization of "Church" is as imperfect as we humans are. It will change if we all take pains to truly understand our faith, correctly express it to others and as Paul writes to Timothy "Encourage one another in the Faith" The Eucharist is not the only reason I have come home to Rome. Look at what the Church teaches. Try to see past all the "noise" on the 6 o’clock news and see what good the Church does do. Above all pray for the church which is also us. As it is said in the Mass "Look not on our sins but on the faith of your Church" May God grant us the peace and unity that we all desire.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND