Conversation Corner
God In Our Midst (The Tiny Seed of Faith--February 2003)

What keeps you from trusting in God’s transforming love?

Date: 2/5/2003 7:39:21 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Ewald
Subject: Mustard seed

Joyce Rupp, wrote
“Faith is one of the best remedies for disturbance and fear. It allows us to put ourselves in the hands of the Holy One and be at peace knowing, as Julian of Norwich discovered, ‘All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.”
It is in our moments of vulnerability, uncertainty and need that our seed-faith is urged to stretch and grow. It is then that we discover the power of trustful waiting and the beauty of undefeated hope. Even the tiniest of seeds knows this wondrous truth.’
The question raised is: “ What keeps you from trusting in God’s transforming love?

Thomas Merton wrote: “despair is the absolute extreme of self-love”. He explains that a man who is truly humble cannot despair. Despair is reached when a man turns his back on all help especially from God. (Seeds of Contemplation).

There are many problems in the world, far too many to enumerate. I, like many others, am frequently asked where is this “God of Love”. Usually I manage to convey my convictions fairly eloquently, albeit without convincing many, yet may be sowing this mustard seed.

We were married in the church and have been happily married for over 47 years. However my wife is an agnostic. For all these years, and some years before we got married, I have prayed that God might give her the gift of faith. I believe the mother of St. Augustine prayed for 18 years.

I still do trust in “God’s transforming love” and hopefully will continue to do so. But it is hard sometimes.

God bless
Ewald

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND