Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Christmas Films--December 2003)

What values did you find in each film?

Date: 12/15/2003 1:37:07 PM
Name or Pseudonym: brigid
Subject: good for goose

Hello Oscar,
and happy Advent to you as well. I have to also disagree with you on some things. Everyone has a different idea of what would be considered poison. I know some people who consider reading anything but the Bible and religous poetry to be poison. I have a cousin who considers the public school poison, so she home schools her children. So, that is really a matter of personal opinion. Secondly, Thomas Kincade is something we could strive for, but we need to realise that there is a good chance it won’t happen. All we can do is try to make the best of what we have. Not everyone ( including me) lives in a huge victorian home or in a quaint stone cottage by the sea. Not everyone has a huge family that really cares about each other ( that is where I am blessed, because my family does care). What I am saying is that all families ( including mine) have relatives that seem to darken any special occasion. It doesnt matter if it is a holiday, wedding, birthday, or any other special event. That is why I think some of those movies do have some lessons. Since we live in an imperfect world, nothing we do will ever live up to our idea of what perfect is.
Norman Rockwell was awesome, but mankind wasn’t ever that innocent. World War1 and Two, Vietnam, and our current world events prove that. Once again, I think Norman Rockwell portrayed the idea of what life should be like, and what we can hope for. However I don’t think he looked at the world through rose colored glasses. Only Heaven will be perfect...and we can try to make things pleasant here on Earth, but the greed of mankind for power and domination won’t ever let that happen. I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND