Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 10/19/2003 8:05:24 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Ivan
Subject: Worthy of Heaven?

I’ve been reading this correspondance "about Nemo" (actually was looking for reaction to Nicholas Nickleby, but discovered that it was closed)with some interest. Oscar, I agree with you that God created the animals and everythinig else on this earth for the benefit "mankind" (to use a good, old-fashioned term that has lately been expunged from the English language), AND that man (scuse my political incorrectness) has the responsibility to manage God’s gifts properly. The problems began when Adam and Eve sinned and lost God’s image (perfect righteousness and holiness and the knowledge of God - see Eph. 22:24; Col.3:10), which can only be found again in Christ. Having lost the divine image, man has become selfish, unloving, evil and an enemy of God, capable only of thinking evil all the time (Gen. 8:21). This original sin of Adam has been passed down from generation to generation (Psalm 51:5), and this is why children, no less than their sinful parents, deserve eternal damnation. The way to heaven is not just very dificult; it is impossible for man, because God demands perfection, and man can only sin. This is bad news for us, but it’s the clear teaching of the Bible. But the good news (also clearly taught in the Bible - in fact, its main message!)is that God so loved the world (which was not lovable in itself) that He gave His only-begotten Son (to be our Brother, our Substitute, our Righteousness, our Sin-Offering and our Redemption - in short, our SAVIOR), that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life (see John 3:16). In other words, Jesus has made us worthy of heaven by giving us His perfect righteousness and by suffering the punishment of our sins for us on the cross. His resurrection guarantees our salvation. This is where I disagree with you, Oscar: the way to eternal life is not difficult; it’s a free gift of God’s grace, no strings attached (see Eph 2:8-9). The Way is Jesus Himself - the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one who trusts in Him will ever be lost. The gate to Life is narrow, because we have to leave all our own "righteousness" and "good works" and anything else we depend on for salvation behind in order to fit through it - because the Gate is Jesus, and Jesus alone. Few find it, because most people prefer to try to get to heaven by their own merits, instead of admitting their complete failure to God and trusting in His Son. "This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son, does not have life" (1 John 5:11,12). That’s a long way from Nemo, but it’s worth talking about, isn’t it?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND