Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 10/10/2003 1:08:40 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Oscar
Subject: Greetings!

I appreciate your message. I’d like to clarify some things if you’ll allow me the privilege:
There is a difference between environmentalism and conservationism - I would consider myself to be a conservationist. Whereas conservationism respects the planet for what it is (a part of God’s creation upon which we must necessarily and temporarily sojourn), Environmentalism is a disjointed conjury of beliefs that jumbles God’s orderly design. Environmentalism seems to place creation above the Creator; Gaia, mother earth, tree hugging, tree funerals, spotted owls, animal rights (sea turtle eggs are protected by the law, but unborn human children are reduced to a mere "choice"), caribou...and on and on it goes.
The term "practical paganism" does not imply an actual act of worship (although the tree burial is very close), it implies that "protecting the environment" has become far more important than "saving one’s soul." I don’t think anyone can dispute that such is the case with the environmentalists these days. Speaking of St. Francis, he was far more interested in saving his soul than "Brother Sun" and "Sister Moon." St. Francis was interested in created things because they reflected the orderliness, power and majesty of Him Who made them. And St. Francis did not take for granted that creation was made out of love for God’s children (mankind). But could we say that environmentalists in general actually care about God? I wonder how many Earth Day attendees bother to go to mass even once per year? And animal rights groups are no better. Should animals be abused? Certainly not. But should human beings with souls (and children to feed) be forced to forgo their livelyhoods because some owls or carribou would be displaced?
God commanded Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply because He wants many souls in Heaven. He did not tell them to stop if the environmentalists cried, "overpopulation!" Christ commanded the Apostles to lower their nets; He did not command them to avoid ensnaring Flipper when fishing for tuna.
Thanks for your time, and God bless.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND