Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 9/21/2003 11:58:08 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Oscar
Subject: I read it, but

Hi Brigid,

Yes, I read the whole write up - you must understand that the author is certainly entitled to his opinion, but that’s all it is. Frankly, I’ll side with Aquinas and 2000 years of Church teaching, and the rest of Scripture that supports that view. I think the good people of this web site are trying to do fine work. But I don’t exactly agree with everything they present, specifically because much of what is said is all a part of a world-centered ideology.

We can quote Scripture all we want, but that doesn’t mean that we are using it in the proper context.

The Article by Mr. Wintz [from monitor: for the record, it’s Father Wintz] is somewhat biased because of his love of animals. He believes animals will go to Heaven because he WANTS them too - thus he is willing to interpret the Bible in any way that will support his personal views. That’s not the way of the Church. He takes a few allegorical passages, and some passages from what he refers to as "the Genesis STORY" [emphasis mine], but he doesn’t look at creation as a whole.

Again, the Bible clearly states that only Man (mankind) was created in God’s image. Furthermore, God accepted animal sacrifice, but never human sacrifice. Look at the story of Abraham and Isaac - Abraham so loved God that he was willing to sacrifice his own son. But God wouldn’t really allow that to happen - and in Issac’s place, God provided a ram. It is quite clear throughout ALL of Scripture that mankind has a much higher purpose than do animals. Taken as a whole, the Bible clearly shows that animals are here for our use.

Christ Himself tells us that the very hairs on our heads are numbered, and that we are more valuable than animals - sparrows to be precise.

Do we believe a subjective liberal view, or do we believe the very words of Christ? "Now if God clothe in this manner the grass that is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more you, O ye of little faith?"

There is the parable of the Prodigal son - Christ tells us that all of Heaven will rejoice over one repenting sinner. Nowhere do we find Christ speaking of animals in such a way. Nowhere in the Bible do we find animals entering Heaven. In fact, in that parable, it is the fatted calf that is slughtered in honor of the son’s return.

Here is a passage that is very important, because it is illustrative of what I am talking about. Our theologians seemed to be more concerned about the environment and animals than pleasing God:

"For professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man, and of birds, and of fourfooted beasts, and of creeping things.....Who changed the truth of God into a lie; and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator who is blessed for ever. Amen" (Rom. 1 22-25).

Have we not done the same in our Church? We have become so wise that we have disregarded nearly 2000 years of Tradition, in every aspect of our religion. Our theology is new, our liturgy is new - although St. Paul was describing the ancient pagan Romans, the parallels to us, the "new Romans" are astounding. I remember stained-glass windows depicting God, the angels, and the saints. I’ve been to new churches where the depictions are of trees, birds, and even furniture.

To conclude, I would argue that the article you refer to, while it may be supported by liberal catholics and those who run this site, is not supported by the authentic teaching of the Church. I’m sure the author is a nice person and has all of the right intentions, but we will not change God’s nature and those He allows into Heaven by the sheer power of our collective willfullness. Heaven is for those with souls.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND