Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 9/18/2003 4:19:31 PM
Name or Pseudonym: brigid
Subject: charity

Oscar,
the ramble is fine, I understand. I am guilty of it myself. But, you said that animals haven’t any intellect. Once again I mention the seeing eye dogs, or what about animals that are trained to sniff for drugs or weapons? Did you ever see the news story where that little boy fell into a den of silver backed gorillas and the female protected him? She knew the males would have killed or harmed him, and she kept him from that. If animals didn’t have intellect, they could never perform any of the things I just mentioned.I like to watch a local tv station called Pax television, there is a show called It’s A Miracle, and it has shown many programs where animals have had to use intellect to save another life. There are other passages in the bible that refer ( at least in my opinion, that animals have souls). I don’t have access to my bible right now or I could find them. I have had people tell me that the wolf and lamb paragraph is just a metaphor, even when in rev. it talks about when animals will praise God ( as I mentioned last time). At the same time I have had people tell me the entire Bible is a metaphor and that none of it should be taken seriously. So, it is hard for me to look at any teachings in the Bible as being a metaphor. And sure, St.Francis might have eaten meat, I could have sworn that I read he had been vegetarian. But, I am not vegetarian eithier, the way I look at it is this way. Sure, I may eat steak now, but when I die I will eventually become the grass that the cow may eat. No, I am not planning on being buried in a pastuer LOL, but that is how things used to be. But that is why ( even though I really don’t like them because they are slimy) I don’t even hurt worms. One day I will feed those worms, when my body lies in the ground. I guess I just take the whole circle of life and try to apply it to my life. Yes, I am guilty of killing wasp’s, but I am also allergic to them so I try to avoid them, but if one is trying to sting me then yes I will swat it with a paper. We are given this beautiful world and all of the wonderful ( and even the not so wonderful) creatures in it. It is our responsibilty to take care of it. I remember one time you said that the enviroment and animals technically don’t have any rights. But how can a gift from God not have any rights? The enviroment and the animals were here before us, and I don’t think we are superior. It is all in how you look at it. Sure, we may be at the top of the food chain. But if you are in the woods and run across a hungry grizzly bear, he isn’t going to care what part of the food chain you are on, he sees you as lunch. And unless a person has a rifle to shoot the bear with, chances are, they will become food. Also, we are the only living species of any kind on earth that has to make the enviroment change to our needs, all other species have the ability to adapt to any changes ( well, except for maybe dino’s). But what caused their death is still a mystery as well. Anyhoo, that is my ramble.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND