Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 9/18/2003 3:34:29 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Oscar
Subject: Charity

Brigid,
Thanks for the dialogue. God expressly condemned the worldly-minded because they seek to surround themselves with the the fleeting pleasures of this world. The "wolf and the lamb" is a metaphor - not to be taken literally. Christ spoke of wolves among the sheep in other biblical passages, but He was clearly refering to those who create scandal among the faithful, not actual wolves and sheep. We know from the doctors of the Church that two integral parts of the soul are the will and the intellect, and animals do not posses an intellect. Animals do not act according to the Moral Law; they are driven purely to satisfy their needs. Animals need affection, but that does not mean they have souls.
Certainly all animals share a bond with their offspring, but God’s love is not some mere sentimental feeling.
Critical flaws have crept into modern theology. One must understand that there are two sources of revelation; not just the Bible. And there are so many new bibles available with faulty translations - a single word can change the entire meaning of a passage. That is why St. Jerome was so painstakingly careful when he translated the Greek and Aramaic books of the New Testament into Latin. God is Charity - not "Love" as is understood by modern man. You cannot compare human love, not to mention animal affection, to the virtue of Charity. Charity is a supernatural virtue - something that animals simply cannot posses, because they don’t have souls. This has been the teaching of the Church since the beginning. The Jews certainly wouldn’t have been sacrificing animals to God if animals had souls - to take such a life would have been murder. Remember that mankind was created in God’s image. That "image" refers to our souls.
I mentioned that the modern world has turned things upside down. History is being revised in order to create the appearence of modernist thought among our Catholic predecessors. I assure you, St. Francis ate meat, or fish, and didn’t tell anyone else it was wrong. When he did refrain from flesh meat it was to make a loving sacrifice to God, not to spare some poor cow or chicken. St. Francis even spent time with the crusading armies of Europe, not to denounce their mission, but to support them. St. Francis knew the peace of God, not that of liberal revisionists with an agenda. Here’s an example of what I mean: Christ, being God, is Love - yes? Christ told His Apostles, "love one another as I have loved you." Yet we find Our Lord castigating the Pharisees on numerous occasions, throwing the usurious theives from the temple, and calling Peter "Satan." We don’t tend to think about these things anymore. And the reason is that they do not play into the revisionist attitude that Christ was like a hippie.
All of these distortions that have crept into our language, our history, and our theology are the workings of the worldly-minded. Instead of reflecting on the sorrows of Christ, or the things that brought true joy to holy men and women, we now focus on the environment, or animals, or politics and "social justice," as if these things had some place of prominence in our religion. They do not. God and what it takes for us to spend our eternity with Him are of the highest importance.
Animals and the world obviously have a part in God’s plan, but we must keep them in their proper place.
Sorry if I rambled - It’s 2:00 AM and my mind is wandering!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND