Conversation Corner
Media Watch (Finding Nemo--September 2003)

What values did you find in the film "Finding Nemo"?

Date: 9/11/2003 1:40:35 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Oscar
Subject: One-sided

The point was that it is the film industry that is one-sided. We can easily zero in on a single lesson or moral, but films tend to overlook every day living for the grandiose. I doubt many parents will find themselves in a situation where they must travel around the world looking for a lost child.

The Saints tell us that the Moral Law is "written in the fleshy tables of the heart." In other words, it makes no difference what religion a child is. It makes no difference if a child is trained to be an atheist - deep down we all understand the basics of morality. Couldn’t Disney or Pixar come up with something a little more real and less fantastic? That morsel of morality gets lost among the other aspects of the film. Take Bambi for example - A story about a small igsignificant creature who rises to accept the challenges of numerous adverse conditions. Poor Bambi’s mother is killed, not by a cougar, a snake, or a bear, but by evil men with guns! And in the annuls of time and history, the anti-human aspect of Bambi has taken a stronger hold than the buck’s courage and loyalty.

I would agree that this view of Bambi was extreme if it were not for the never-ending stream of similar movies coming from Disney. And the people writing these films are about as amoral as you can find. They seek to push the limits. When our children get older they graduate from Disney to teenage movies like American Pie. That’s not a movie I want my children to see. But our society doesn’t have too many parents willing to discriminate against what everyone else is doing. And if Disney is doing such a good job of teaching our children their morality lessons, why do they have such a strong desire to follow their peers into sin instead of leading them to prayer?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND