Conversation Corner
Media Watch (American Dreams--February 2003)

What values do you find in the NBC series "American Dreams"?

Date: 1/29/2003 8:25:01 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Maria
Subject: Values

It is a comfortable show showing a loving family, respect for parents and authority and a solid family unit. This family is so typical of the 50s and 60s. I can remember disagreeing heartily with my parents but still loving them and keeping the moral values learned in catholic school and at home. It was a time of innocence when a "good girl" still said "no" and the young man was full of respect. Our values were reinforced both at school and at home and in our church services for children. Meals in the evening were served at the same time and we all ate together, the family was not fragmented. The world could fall apart around you, we had riots and dissatisfaction from groups, but you can always count on the family unit for support and unity. I hope in the future the children of today can find something loving about these days, a strong family unit can get anyone through anything and this is where memories are made.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND