Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/9/2003 3:25:57 AM
Name or Pseudonym: John_D
Subject: To American Catholics

First and foremost, the Pope is wrong on this issue. This is such a clear case of good and evil I really cannot even imagine what he is thinking. The Church has always stood for good and not evil I will follow Christ and not the liberal element in the Church today.

I respect the Pope and think he is a good man is who is wrong on this issue. As far as the argument of, the Pope not speaking ex cathedra goes on this subject. He does not have to speak ex cathedra but he does have to speaking on "faith and morals" and he is not. His comments are not binding on anyone regarding the war in Iraq.

As far as the comment "you cannot be a Christian and support war" that is simply ridiculous. If you believe that Jesus is God, then you would know that God demanded that the Israelites go to war with numerous countries in the Old Testament. Jesus tell his followers in Luke 22 to "sell their clokes and buy swords" Ecclesiates says that "there is a time for war and a time for peace".

I have been to several pro-troop rallies and the so called "peace people" are mostly anarchists and Marxists and hateful.

Unfortunately the Pope is surrounded with liberal bishops and this war is not politically correct. The Pope is wrong. As a Catholic I don’t mind saying that. He is a sinner just like the rest of us and makes mistakes and has made a big one this time.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND