Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/7/2003 11:15:40 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Joseph
Subject: DA

Glad I got your attention. First off, those are not "my" myths- I mentioned it was an article I read. I thought it raised a lot of imortant issues that a lot of people are not talking about. I agree the last statement is biased, but why do you choose only to address the one matter of opinion and none of the disputed facts?
Secondly, I have never called the US evil as you indicate. I would however like to preserve my country’s good name. As the most powerful nation in world history I do believe we must act responsibly. After 9/11 the whole world was behind us. This new war has people all around the world, within our own country, and within our religions questioning it’s necessity.
Your fact about Saddam is partially true. Let me first state that yes, I think agree he is a very bad man. I’d like to see him out of power. But you cannot deny that when he gassed his own people he was supported by the US. The US even tried to blame this atrocity on Iran. Later, after the Gulf War, George H. Bush told the Iraqi people to rise up and overthrow Saddam and that America would support them. Well, they tried, but they had no US help. I’ve heard stories from US pilots describing their horror of flying over these massacres (by Saddam and his crew) and how they had to obey orders not to intervene.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND