Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/7/2003 10:13:23 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Pat
Subject: Hang on Chris

"Well well well! What do we have here? verifiable proof of WMD in Iraq."

The toxins ricin and botulinum have been found twice in England recently at two homes which were raided. I have absolutely no doubt that there are Al Quaeda terrorists here. I’d bet they’re over in your country too. That’s what terrorists do: that’s what makes it so difficult to fight them: that’s why I simply don’t understand why you think that going to war with Iraq is going to stop terrorists, or terrorism.

How will it work, Chris? Wouldn’t you concede that witnessing your baby die in agony because of an American/British attack is more likely to create hatred than love? I will remember the dying child I saw on TV for the rest of my life, and I cannot begin to imagine what his parents must feel like (if they survived). I bet those pictures have been widely aired in Arab countries.

If we must fight wars we should be honest and realistic. I believe we are failing on both counts.

"To the victor goes the spoils of war! And since the victor is the Iraqi people, the United States, and Great Britain.."

From a recent news report:

"Rory McCarthy in Camp as-Sayliya, Qatar and Vikram Dodd
Friday March 28, 2003

Concern has grown that lucrative contracts to rebuild Iraq, after the allied bombing and years of neglect under Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship, are going to US firms with British companies missing out."

Jolly well serves us right!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND