Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/6/2003 7:04:48 PM
Name or Pseudonym: fv
Subject: war to liberate Iraq

I saw an interview on ABC. On it, Barbara Walters interviewed several women who ran out of Iraq. Some of them were eyewitnesses to horrible crimes. One of them still suffers from the effects of the nerve gases that Saddam used on his own people. They said that Saddam has human meat grinders, where people are placed alive. They also mentioned chemical baths where people are literally "dissolved". It disturbs me so much when I think of how this all sounds so much like what happened during the Holocaust.

Iraqi women are raped constantly. One general, who found the courage to disagree with Saddam, was surprised to find videotapes of his female relatives being raped in retaliation for being disloyal to Hussein.

It angers me as an American woman to know that our Iraqi sisters are being used and tortured in this way. It angers me as a human being that this "Hitler" of our generation has yet to be stopped. And it angers me as a Catholic that our Holy Father doesn’t agree that this is a just war. I have spent my whole life listening to sisters and priests telling us how we should help those who need our help - especially those who are unable to speak or defend themselves. How dare we turn our backs on this situation! Those people need to be freed from that tyrant. Imagine if we wouldn’t have gone after Hitler. More Jews would’ve died.

I thank God that I haven’t lost my faith in Jesus Christ. I just think this whole situation is making me lose faith in the Catholic Church. I predict that many Catholics will become Protestants.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND