Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/4/2003 12:37:41 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Shoshana
Subject: DA

Dear DA,

Take out your Scripture also, because on that very same night when Peter would protect his Master from being tortured, when Peter slew the soldier’s ear....Jesus says, as you well know...those who use the sword shall die from the sword. Now, theologically, we know that Jesus would admonish Peter many times because of his lack of discernement that all of his trials is the will of God. But, in the same token, Peter’s altruistic action, was not condoned by Jesus. Hmmmmm...either Jesus had a forked-tongue or I am misunderstanding....I must be misunderstanding. Let’s have a Scripture study, why don’t we? It is Lent and it is fitting.....This is taken from the Douay-Reims:

Matthew 26:51-52...And behold one of them that were with Jesus, stretching forth his hand, drew out his sword; and striking the servant of the high priest, cut off his ear. Then Jesus said to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Mark 14: 46-49...But they laid hands on Him, and held him. And one of them that stood by, drawing a sword, struck a servant of the chief priest, and cut off his ear. And Jesus answering, said to them: Are you come out as to a robber, with swords and slaves to apprehend me?

Luke: 22: 49-51...And they that were about him, seeing what would follow, said to Him: Lord, shall we strike with the sword? And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answering, said: Suffer ye thus far. And when He had touched his ear, He healed him.

John: 18: 10-11...Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it, and struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. And the name of the servant was Malchus. Jesus therefore said to Peter: Put up thy sword into the scabbard. The chalice which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

It is interesting, though, DA because the Gospel of Luke is the only one that holds your statement. Luke, as you well know, was also Greek and not Jewish. Maybe others can help me here...it is good to compare the verses from different Gospels.

Blessings,
Shoshana

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND