Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/4/2003 8:47:11 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Military Mom
Subject: God’s blessings

Your words, "I donít believe that we can say that we do any violence or mete punishment to fellow man in the name of God or Jesus or with Godís blessing." Actually, scripture is filled with accounts of wars fought and won with God’s blessings.

You go on to say, "I do not believe that US soldiers are bad people. I think they are brave and well-intentioned. But I also think that merely by deciding to bear arms under allegiance to a flag of an Earthly nation, they entertain a conflict to their loyalty to Jesus." Well, it’s nice to know you don’t think U.S. soldiers are bad people! As the mother of a soldier that’s really very comforting to have your approval of the troops, but not their mission.

Well, I must disagree with you because I happen to firmly believe that God has blessed America, and in so doing, our nation has a great responsibility to Him to help those who are less fortunate and suffering by virtue of the fact that they have been terrorized by a brutal regime for far too long. It seems to me you don’t believe we as a nation should "share the wealth of freedom."

Our "brave and well intentioned" soldiers are willing to shed their blood so that you and I may live in freedom. I do believe we owe them a debt of gratitude for that, and our Lord will surely bless them for their sacrifices.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND