Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/3/2003 2:02:12 PM
Name or Pseudonym: newbie
Subject: no, not His will

Forgive me if I’m reiterating the same ideas posted elsewhere on this board -- I’ve not read through them.

One of the reasons for the Incarnation was that we just "didn’t get it." Christ walked this earth with a message of love. Never did he amass an army for the purpose of fighting wars. Never did he advocate fighting a war. Instead he warned of persecution, and preached against violence. "Shake the dust off your sandals" was about all he said against those who would not believe. He showed that for some demons, only prayer can expel them.

I cannot see God desiring that his children bicker among themselves and kill each other. Since God is the creator of all, all have a common Father, and all humans are siblings of each other. It is difficult to know God’s will. Our Pope, his Holiness, has advised against this war, at this time. I do not see it as political advice. I see it as spiritual guidance. And I find that it rings consistent with Christ’s teachings.

What are we to do about those who suffer under Saddam? Well, who died and appointed U.S.A. as king of this world? I do not know the answer; but I do know that Christ, who knows everything, was well aware of injustices in the world and yet preached not to kill. Even in the temple when he overturned tables, he did not physically strike at anyone, but spoke with authority and righteousness. I’m only suggesting that those in power should seek, with prayer, all possible means to peaceably obtain justice. We cannot preach peace with any effectiveness if we do it while praticing violence.

No. I don’t think this war has God’s blessings.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND