Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/3/2003 8:29:14 AM
Name or Pseudonym: DA
Subject: To Shoshana

"I am very positive about God . . . I do not know if Jesus would think so positive seeing this also...especially after shedding His blood so that we would not. It hasnít worked yet. There will be great repercussions from this war . . .Positivism is certainly not a part of this picture. It is just a human new age thing. Positivism will not end this war . . ."

Shoshana, you seem to contradict yourself with your words. Are you positive, or not? Most of your statements are rather negative. (In the paragraph above you use the word "not" four times.)

I AM positive that God will bring good out of evil. He always does. So, as far as repercussions, they too may very well be positive repercussions. We are seeing it already. Do you read the newspaper or watch the reports on tv? Today’s paper has a picture of a young Iraqi man embracing and kissing an American soldier in gratitude for coming to his country’s aid. Do you not see Christ in this image? I do. The majority of peace and freedom-loving people of Iraq are thanking God for our coalition forces arriving to help bring relief from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein’s torturous regime. You don’t see God’s hand in this? I certainly do!

When you speak about Christ shedding his blood "so we would not[have to]" I must disagree. Thousands of saints and martyrs have shed their blood for the sake of Jesus Christ. They are now rewarded in heaven. You see, Shoshana, there really are some things worth dying for.

You say "Yes, I do trust in God...But because WE decided to go to war, there will be many more going to hell."

WE didn’t decide to go to war. Saddam himself made that choice. He could have prevented it by giving up his WMD and stepping down from power. He was forewarned. He made the WRONG choice about many things, especially about killing his own people.

Lastly, unfortunately, there may be many people going to hell, but only God knows that. Not you. Not I. As for myself, I will focus on those who will be going to heaven to be with God for eternity because I choose to think positively!

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND