Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 4/3/2003 4:14:38 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Pat
Subject: Well of course

Ultimately of course we are all in the hands of God!!

But in this life, we fight against Powers and Principalities, and THEY control the media. I’m afraid it is very naive to imagine that the majority of people are not controlled to a great extent by the media. There are literally millions of examples of this. For instance: I read in a post here that you’ve been seeing picture of brave Marines carrying injured children, administering first aid, offering food and water to prisoners, etc. On the other hand you are fed stories of the brutalities and inhumanities of the Iraqis. This has the effect of stiffening the spine and firming the resolve to "oust these monsters of depravity".

Similarly in Iraq, they are shown pictures of children (or what’s left of children) and their mutilated mothers lying in the ruins of their homes, bombed by the "cowardly Americans and British". It doesn’t take a genuis to work out the effect these pictures have, does it?

I saw a news report last week. There was a little boy, about 18 months old, screaming in agony in an Iraqi hospital. He had been burned from his neck downwards. They had insufficient medication to relieve his pain. The sanctions, you know. He’ll be dead by now, God bless him. If you were his father/mother, how would you feel about our brave boys in the field? What would you like to do to them? Rush out and hug them for freeing you from Saddam? I don’t think so.

God help us indeed. We have a DUTY to inform ourselves. We have a DUTY to strive to know the truth, whether we like it or not.
We have a DUTY to God to do His Will, not our own.

"Never pray for justice, because you might get some..."

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND