Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/30/2003 1:35:49 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Joseph
Subject: Love your enemy, and read Twain’s War Prayer

I have been troubled by one thing missing from most of the dialogue (here and elsewhere) about this war. Are our soldiers and their families, our nation and its leaders, the only ones deserving of our prayers? As we condemn the evils done by Saddam and his regime, do we ever stop and think to pray for these people, or for Iraqi soldiers?

Nationalism has taken hold of us, and we are acting more like Americans than Christians. Which are we first, and which are we second?

As Christians, when we pray for our solders, and "support our troops", for what are we really asking? Be careful, and know what is in your heart. Whatever you think about this war, do a search for Mark Twain’s War Prayer on the internet. I came across it yesterday after having read it many years ago, and couldn’t believe how appropriate it is. When I read it aloud to my children, I could hardly get through it without getting choked up. Regardless of Samuel Clemens’ rocky relationship with his Creator, I truly believe that he was a prophet, speaking for God, when he wrote it.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND