Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/30/2003 7:13:47 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Shoshana
Subject: Chris...

’Removal of Native Americans--oh boy. I disagree with the things our government (same as in Canada. btw..)...and no one alive today is responsible for these actions.

Tis is true what both our governments did and yes, you are right there is no one alive today responsible for this....

But as Sctipture says....the sins of the father is visited onto the children into the 3rd and 4th generation.

The best way to live’s one Christian life....instead of some vestigial ’peace and forgiveness’.

We cannot come to Mass and up offer Jesus as sacrifice if we do not forgive...this is said it many verses in the Scriptures. I do not know what you mean by vestigial...a pretense of thereof? Well, only God knows that and not you or I. We are not talking about hippie love and forgiveness....just look at Corrie ten Boom. Now that is so hard to do but God gave her the grace to forgive. She relied on Him to do it. And of course we have the example of Jesus on the Cross. This sentence of yours sounds so patronizing which is so prominent in Traditionalists. Be careful.

Your point on judgment is off. We can and at times must judge. When we rebuke someone for public scandal, when they share with us their hate for someone, etc. We must make a statement..it is our duty as Christian Catholics. Discernement also plays a big role here. Byt only when we look within ourselves and take care of our own garbage can we approach someone when they are sinning. Take the log out of your eye before taking the dust particle (??) out of your neighbor’s. And when we do continually search ourselves by God’s grace we will see more clearly. Judging your neighbor for wrongdoing when you, yourself are commitiing the same sin is despicable to the Lord. Like the Pharisees.

Just thought I would add my two cents. :}}

Blessings,
Shoshana

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND