Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/28/2003 3:34:00 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Jacqui
Subject: Diplomacy

If anyone has the magic diplomatic words would you please share? Many, many, many diplomats, governmental and religious tried to reason with Saddam over years and years and years to no avail.
The UN is a mockery of justice. It cannot accomplish anything on its own without US $$$$ and troops and needs to be recognized for what it is: a means to share the wealth of hard working Americans with the leaders of impoverished countries...notice I didn’t say poor impoverished people.
As for disagreeing with the pope, he did not as has been pointed out several times, speak infallibly in regard to this war. The Catechism states "The evaluation of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudenital judgement of those who have responsibility for the common good.
Public authorities, in this case, have the right and duty to impose on citizens the obligations necessary for national defense."
I am sure you have all gotten out your copy of the Catechism & studied the definitions for yourselves just as you have availed yourselves of several different news services so that you can get a more rounded opinion than just Dan Rather’s.
In 1941, 70% of Americans did not want to get into WWII. We never interviened when Joseph Stalin murdered millions of his own people. Would you really have wanted to stand by hand know in 50 more years that dissitant voices condemed millions of innocent Iraqiis to death by torture?
Yes, we all need to pray! I also hope that all will recognize evil unveiled and ask St Michael to help conquer the evil. Perhaps a simultanous excorsism?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND