Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/28/2003 12:22:31 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Ukranian Greek Catholic
Subject: Regarding Odor

Slava Isusu Christu !

First off, your subject "WHEW! What’s that smell?" does not seem to be in the spirit of this discussion board. I hope it is not also an indicator of your Christian attitude and charitable behavior.

By any chance, did you read the lental message of Bishop John Michael Botean? In it he points out: Paragraph 2309 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church states: "The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy" (emphasis added). Since war is about the mass infliction of death and suffering on children of God, Christians can enter into it and fight in it only if the war in question strictly meets all the criteria of the just war theory, and only if these same standards are likewise meticulously observed in the course of fighting the war. Vague, loose, freewheeling, conniving, relaxed interpretations of Catholic just war theory and its application are morally illegitimate because of "the gravity of such a decision."

He further states: Therefore I, by the grace of God and the favor of the Apostolic See Bishop of the Eparchy of St. George in Canton, must declare to you, my people, for the sake of your salvation as well as my own, that any direct participation and support of this war against the people of Iraq is objectively grave evil, a matter of mortal sin. Beyond a reasonable doubt this war is morally incompatible with the Person and Way of Jesus Christ. With moral certainty I say to you it does not meet even the minimal standards of the Catholic just war theory.

Bravo to Bishop Botean for teaching us to follow Christ and Bravo to Bishop Gumbleton for standing up for God and not politics. I pray that your soul will be touched by Holy Spirit of the Lord.

May your kindness, O Lord, be upon us who have put our hope in You.
Exult, you Just, in the Lord, praise from the upright is fitting.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND