Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/26/2003 8:45:36 PM
Name or Pseudonym: ejn
Subject: Bishop Gumbleton

I just learned that Roman Catholic Auxiliary Bishop Thomas Gumbleton of the Detroit archdiocese was arrested in Washington along with Nobel laureates, and Bishop C. Joseph Sprague of the United Methodist Church, and Dave Robinson, national coordinator of Pax Christi.

These are brave people living their faith (my faith). They are examples for all of us. Should we not be objecting to our government for attempting to silence our religious convicts, our religious leaders? Does not the Constitution of the US protect us against government intrusion into our faiths? Is this not old Stalin behavior? Mao behavior? Why do we Americans accept such? Have we lost all our rights now that Homeland Security can enter our homes without our knowledge, collect data from our libraries about our reading habits.

I now fear that this administration will not stop at Iraq but will attack our Church. In Florida, for example, there is an attempt to make priest reveal certain sins heard in a confessional.

Frankly, I am scared that the issues of our present government go beyond the concept of a just war.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND