Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/26/2003 1:53:56 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Adrian
Subject: How can we trust that this is true?

Dr. John:
Yes, I heard the news that the chemical weapons plant was found. But how can we trust that this is true?

One of the key points the Pope has brought up is the importance of truth and trust.

During the first Gulf War, we heard those stories about the terrible things Iraqi soldiers were doing to babies in the hospitals of Kuwait, but they were made up, it was later revealed. Now we have a president who hired a number of people for his administration who were found guilty of crimes for the Iran-Contra scandal. They ignored, circumvented, and broke the law so as to enact their own illegal agenda. I submit that we cannot trust this news at all. Maybe the chemical plant was there, and was a chemical plant after all. Maybe things have been manipulated to make it appear so.

We simply cannot trust this president or his administration. Trust and truth are sorely needed, but I fear we can’t assume we’ll get it from Bush.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND