Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/26/2003 1:46:06 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Adrian
Subject: God save us all

C.P.
You are correct about the rapes. Saddam and his people do terrible things to torture the Iraqi people.

I assume you’re being sarcastic when you jump to the next thought about burning cities, destroying houses, ruining homes, killing families. If so, I agree with you that it makes no sense.

But I would observer that, unfortunately, there may be Catholics out there who may take you too literally and think you’re in favor of the war, using Bush’s own logic.

We said Saddam and his regime were the enemies, not the people of Iraq. Yet to this point, many more innocent civilians have suffered and died than members of the corrupt regime.

Even if the war is successful (as we thought our rescue mission in Somalia might be an easy and quick success), there will be attacks on American and coaltion ("of the willing")peacekeepers. There will be fighting among Kurds and other factions.

There has never before been a time in history when the US began a war with so much opposition at home and abroad. When the war began, yes, polls showed that people pulled together to support the war, but that may face, for much of it was, and is, the "soft" support from those who very recently said they thought we should not go to war without UN support.

There will be more terrorists attacks at home in the US. We are going about this backwards, and we will pay later. We reap what we sow.

God save us and our children, for all of this.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND