Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/26/2003 10:12:35 AM
Name or Pseudonym: Dr. John
Subject: Your military assessment

Dear Shoshana,

I had to wait to answer your post, because I was laughing too hard to type anything.

Do you really believe that the North Korean military is more powerful than the US military? Really? You honestly think that?

Freedom isn’t free, Shoshana. The communists won in Vietnam because we lost the political will to actually engage in warfare. The North was attacking the SOuth in a war of aggression. Because of lily-livered political eggheads, the US embarked on an insanely stupid policy of trying to fight a war while blindfolded and with one arm tied behind our back. Of course we lost too many lives. If we had fought the war to win, the outcome would have been different, and there would have been no "Vietnamese Boat People". We came home because the anti-war people were successful in fomenting their own selfishness and cowardice into political power. That is not happening now.

Shoshana, people die for freedom. It is a precious commodity beyond tangible price. Some of us understand that and answer the call to defend what others - through their ultimate sacrifice - have obtained for the rest of us. If the war on terror results in our going against the North Koreans and the Iranians, then so be it. If you truly think that the North Koreans or the Iranians can defeat a committed US military force, then I yrge you to study a bit more on the military structure and strategy of the US and contrast it with those of the other nations you mention. And before you try to throw up the Vietnam example, check your history to learn that the US military was NEVER defeated on the battlefield by the North Vietnamese. We lost because we had stupid political leaders guided by anti-war agitprop at home, rather than by proper ideals.

Have a great day.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND