Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/26/2003 12:39:50 AM
Name or Pseudonym: LWF
Subject: War in Iraq

I am feel a great sadness that the war has become a reality. The precedent of a pre-emptive war will change the world forever, and the disrespect demonstrated by the United States for the UN has made a mockery of the institution.

As a convert to Catholicism, I am even more disappointed in the number of Catholics I have met who support the war, despite the pleadings and warnings of the Holy Father. What hipocracy - many who claim to be good Christians and Catholics express an unjust revenge in defiance of the Pope.

As a result of this issue, I have have further discovered that many Catholics pick and choose what they want to believe, while condeming certain issues and supporting others regardless of what the Vatican states.

Can I pick and choose too? Does God give us all permision to pick and choose, can I count my self in the number of Catholics who know more than the Pope?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND