Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/25/2003 4:54:47 PM
Name or Pseudonym: magda
Subject: Holy Father/Just War

Glory to Jesus Christ!

First I would like to thank everyone who is participating in this discussion. It is very edifying and helpful.

I am a Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic. I love America, a nation based on human dignity and the inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

My Church was nearly exterminated under Communism. The Church was outlawed, priests were nailed to the Church doors or imprisoned and poisoned. The Church buildings were confiscated and many people died for the faith. Still, we never prayed for retalliation against the Russian Communists atheists. We always prayed for the CONVERSION of their hearts. In the end, Communism fell, but not with tanks and bombs. It fell to prayer and solidarity, lead by the Holy Father.

Pope John Paul II is a holy man. I have spent much time with his teachings and philosophy, especially the Theology of the Body. I have come to know him in my heart as a trusted "papa". When I am in doubt, I turn to him and his wisdom. He has smelled the stench of his friends and classmates going up in smoke at the concentration camps. And he doesn’t want that to ever happen again.

As members of the Mystical Body of Christ, our aim in life is to "put on Christ" to love one another as He loves. Do we doubt Christ’s power, even when He has shown us again and again that he conquers through prayer and fasting?

While I support the brave men and women who have answered the call to serve our country, I cannot support this military agression against Iraq. I am not convinced that the conditions for "just war" have been satisfied and it is not consistent with the Gospel reality, our call to love one another and put our faith in Christ.

Mary, the Holy Theotokos, pray for us!

Magda

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND