Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/24/2003 11:24:13 AM
Name or Pseudonym: newbie
Subject: no to this war

It’s been said that if the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.

War is the result of hardened hearts. Since we cannot negotiate, it must be time to use brute force. Since we cannot talk civilly, letís have a brawl and the stronger shall win. Would we have been so eager to go to war if we didn’t think that we could kick some ass and end up on top? Those who are screaming "Remember 9/11" are screaming "revenge" or else using it manipulate people by playing on their fears.

God is perfect justice and infinite mercy. But do we trust in God’s justice only if it appeases us? Where do we leave room for God to work in people’s hearts when we seek to extinguish those hearts? Who are we to decide who deserves to live, and who deserves to die? Are we the source of the gift of life that we can take it away so freely? Are we taking God’s mercy for granted? How careful are we to not go against God’s will?

I don’t remember an "if" clause in "Love your enemies." I don’t think loving your enemies involve killing them. I don’t remember an "if" clause when God said, "revenge is mine." Yes, I believe in just wars. Yes, I believe in defending the weak and protecting the innocent. Yes, I believe in sacrificing my own life for the kingdom of God. I do NOT believe that our Pope is a fool, and I stand by him as a member of the Catholic church.

I do NOT believe that ultimatums that violate human dignity is productive. I do NOT believe that name-calling is ever appropriate; I applaud France for standing firm on their beliefs. I believe that we reached for our hammer too soon and that we have failed to be intelligent in our dealings. If we couldn’t rely on brute force, we would have had to resort to cleverness. Imagine that.

I hope that God is the only tool I have in my toolbox. May I never seek to kick ass but only to rebuke a brother/sister; or if it is an elder, to appeal to him/her as father or mother. And may it be a firm rebuke or a heartfelt appeal. May I not be inflamed when I am rebuked, and remember God’s mercies in all my dealings. May I have the patience to allow God to work in the world, having full faith that God shall rectify all injustice in His own way, in His own time, in His perfect wisdom.

I am grateful to soldiers defending us and wish them well and hope that their hearts and mind are 100 percent engaged in their tasks. I am proud of them and am grateful to their families. I am only against the war, but now that it has started, may it be for the good of humanity.

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND