Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/23/2003 10:29:10 AM
Name or Pseudonym: ejn
Subject: To Christina T

You state that sometimes peace can only be achieved by aggression. Is this not a dangerous contradiction? a misuse of words?

You also state: I agree with President Bush that America has to tackle this grave problem before thousands of innocent lives are lost in America. --- But I ask you: What moral authority does Mr Bush represent? Are American lives more important that some other nationality? How do you know that thousands of innocent lives will be lost in America without this war? Why do you assume that Mr. Bush speaks the truth and the Pope and other religious and secular leaders do not speak the truth?

Mr Bush does not strike me as always supportive of Catholic positions. As a matter of fact he seems to undermine many of them. For example, Michael Novak was recruited to support the Bush War on Iraq and hired to undermine Pope John Paul II’s position. I do not find this a positive pro catholic, pro justice step. Do you?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND