Conversation Corner
St. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Peace

Does the military action the U.S. is contemplating against Iraq meet the standards of a just war?

Date: 3/22/2003 2:43:00 PM
Name or Pseudonym: Dr. John
Subject: Why This War Is Just

To all the Anti-American, anti-Bush folks who prefer appeasement of a dictator to taking responsibililty for US freedom and real world peace, may I put forth for your reading pleasure excerpts from the UPI which I found today? I’d just love to hear your responses:

By Arnaud de Borchgrave
UPI Editor at Large
From the International Desk
Published 3/21/2003 2:46 PM

A group of American anti-war demonstrators who came to Iraq with Japanese human shield volunteers made it across the border today with 14 hours of uncensored video, all shot without Iraqi government minders present. Kenneth Joseph, a young American pastor with the Assyrian Church of the East, told UPI the trip "had shocked me back to reality." Some of the Iraqis he interviewed on camera "told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn’t start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam’s bloody tyranny. THEY CONVINCED ME THAT SADDAM WAS A MONSTER THE LIKES OF WHICH THE WORLD HAD NOT SEEN SINCE STALIN AND HITLER. He and his sons are sick sadists. Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head." (Emphasis courtesy Dr. John)

The official and private views of some ranking Jordanian officials appear to be diametrically opposed. Officially, they condemn the war and say they are "deeply troubled" about the repercussions of the war on the region, and describe the situation as "critical." Privately, and not for attribution, they say the United States is developing a new opportunity for the Middle East. Said one former prime minister, "If the U.S. can get a new Iraq to recognize Israel as a quid pro quo for a final Palestinian settlement, others will fall into place -- Syria, Saudi Arabia, and the other Gulf states. Iran would then have to pull back its military support for Hezbollah." END OF EXCERPT

Now, here we have someone who actually went over there filled with utopian ideals of protecting the Iraqi government from the allegedly evil and greedy US secondary to his religious convictions against war. With his freshly gained, first-hand knowledge of the situation unfiltered by anti-American propagandists, he admits he was wrong for opposing the US action. Thank God some on the left have the courage to admit when they are wrong.....

Furthermore, a former Jordanian government official admits to the UPI that the US action is likely to stabilize the various islamic regimes if coupled with the establishment of a Palestinian nation... a step that would force the terrorist-sponsoring state of Iran to decrease its support of Hezbollah.

Could it be? Could it truly be that responsible use of military force could finally bring an end to the problem of the Middle East?

I mean, isn’t the left always spouting that "War never solved anything?"....

...other than slavery, fascism, communism and now seemingly terrorism?

Terms of use

Paid Advertisement
Ads contrary to Catholic teachings should be reported to our webmaster. Include ad link.

An AmericanCatholic.org Web Site from the Franciscans and
Franciscan Media     ©1996-2014 Copyright

Find 
 FIND